Maria Deysi's Story...


Maria Deysi Aguilar was born on March 15th, 2003, in Okinawa, Bolivia (in the department, or state, of Santa Cruz). She is her mother's third child and only girl. When she was three months old, her mother left their dwelling (a wooden structure with a tarp roof) to look for food, leaving Deysi and her two older brothers alone. As it was a cold night, she had left the embers of their cooking fire burning. A stray spark made it up to the tarp, which caught fire and began to melt and drip onto the dirt floor of their home, where Deysi was sleeping, wrapped in a blanket. The only exposed parts of her body (her face and hands) were severely burned by the burning, liquid plastic of the tarp. By the grace of God, Deysi and her mother made it to the city of Santa Cruz (a two-hour drive) and Deysi spent four months in the burn center at the city's childrens hospital. After two skin grafts and many weeks of painful recovery, she was finally released, but after realizing that she was unable to adequately care for her daughter, Deysi's mother chose to place her in the girls orphanage "Hogar Sagrado Corazon" (Sacred Heart Home) in Montero, shortly before Deysi's second birthday.

How is she now?


Deysi is now 10 years old and will start fifth grade in March. She still lives in the childrens home "Hogar Sagrado Corazon" and is well loved by all. She has a sweet disposition and a quick, easy smile. She is doing well in school and is a hard worker, not easily frustrated and generally well behaved. She has been blessed by more frequent visits from her mother and brothers recently and continues to rekindle the bond that she has with them.

Her skin is completely healed (and has been for some time now) but the effects of the burn are still very noticeable. Deysi has never been self-conscious about her differences, but is approaching an age where those differences will start to matter more. In 2014, thanks to the generosity of Shriner's Children’s Hospital in Boston, and the skill and dedication of their professionals, she has undergone a second surgical procedure (on January 27th). This most recent surgery removed the nail bed of the thickened fingernail on her left hand and grafted skin from her leg onto the back of her left hand, allowing more movement in her fingers and replacing a portion of the scarred skin with her own healthy skin. She has also undergone the first of a series of laser procedures to gradually lighten the areas of (darker) grafted skin on her face. We are so grateful to Shriner's Hospital and to all those who have contributed to allow this second trip to become a reality!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

First Visit to Shriner's

Yesterday we had our first visit at Shriner's.  I wanted to post last night but my Dad's laptop had issues picking up Donna's wi-fi, so we're here in the parking garage next to the New England Aquarium (another post on that will hopefully follow this one!) eating in the car (the Dunkin' Donuts didn't have seating) and I'm using the free internet they have in this area! 

Our visit was wonderful, we met Dr. Donelan who will be performing the surgery on Monday (now you have a specific name to pray for!!!) and many other wonderful staff members at Shriner's.  The good news is that Dr. Donelan thinks that this first surgery will be a fairly simple one, only working on the areas of second-degree burns on her face and fixing up the finger nails on her left hand.  He said that the difference would still be noticeable but that at a later date he would like to work on the areas of the original skin graft (the darkest spots on her nose and cheeks) and the skin on the left hand, but that the work on the hand will require a skin graft, which requires a minimum month-long stay in the Boston area.  He guesses that we will only be in the hospital for a few days this time and in the Boston area for 2 weeks, which made me awfully happy, and as I was signing the release form he reiterated that this surgery can have minor complications such as bleeding and infection, but that it is virtually 100% risk-free in terms of more serious stuff.  Boy did he know how to ease my mind!!!

Playing the fun computer games in the waiting area

Watching "Arthur" while waiting for the doctor to come in to see us

Yummy chicken after all the tests and x-rays (standard procedure for international patients) were over

I thought I would get her ice cream but once we saw the chicken, that was it, she was sold.  :)

On the way home I pulled over after about 10 minutes of driving to get gas and this is what I saw in the backseat!

Back at Donna's house in Arlington--as you can tell, this was taken by Deysi herself and the real focus is the cat (Miles), not me

Another Deysi masterpiece :)
My dear friends Donna (who is kindly letting us stay at her house!) and Jill 

1 comment:

  1. Me encanta que ella preferio la carne! Deysi veradera!