Maria Deysi's Story...


Maria Deysi Aguilar was born on March 15th, 2003, in Okinawa, Bolivia (in the department, or state, of Santa Cruz). She is her mother's third child and only girl. When she was three months old, her mother left their dwelling (a wooden structure with a tarp roof) to look for food, leaving Deysi and her two older brothers alone. As it was a cold night, she had left the embers of their cooking fire burning. A stray spark made it up to the tarp, which caught fire and began to melt and drip onto the dirt floor of their home, where Deysi was sleeping, wrapped in a blanket. The only exposed parts of her body (her face and hands) were severely burned by the burning, liquid plastic of the tarp. By the grace of God, Deysi and her mother made it to the city of Santa Cruz (a two-hour drive) and Deysi spent four months in the burn center at the city's childrens hospital. After two skin grafts and many weeks of painful recovery, she was finally released, but after realizing that she was unable to adequately care for her daughter, Deysi's mother chose to place her in the girls orphanage "Hogar Sagrado Corazon" (Sacred Heart Home) in Montero, shortly before Deysi's second birthday.

How is she now?


Deysi is now 10 years old and will start fifth grade in March. She still lives in the childrens home "Hogar Sagrado Corazon" and is well loved by all. She has a sweet disposition and a quick, easy smile. She is doing well in school and is a hard worker, not easily frustrated and generally well behaved. She has been blessed by more frequent visits from her mother and brothers recently and continues to rekindle the bond that she has with them.

Her skin is completely healed (and has been for some time now) but the effects of the burn are still very noticeable. Deysi has never been self-conscious about her differences, but is approaching an age where those differences will start to matter more. In 2014, thanks to the generosity of Shriner's Children’s Hospital in Boston, and the skill and dedication of their professionals, she has undergone a second surgical procedure (on January 27th). This most recent surgery removed the nail bed of the thickened fingernail on her left hand and grafted skin from her leg onto the back of her left hand, allowing more movement in her fingers and replacing a portion of the scarred skin with her own healthy skin. She has also undergone the first of a series of laser procedures to gradually lighten the areas of (darker) grafted skin on her face. We are so grateful to Shriner's Hospital and to all those who have contributed to allow this second trip to become a reality!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Staying a bit longer...

Although Deysi's recovery is going very well, she is still in a good deal of pain from the graft donor site (on the back of her thigh), and we have decided to prolong our stay here in Boston through Monday.  Because of the location of the donor site, walking and sitting in chairs is particularly uncomfortable, but each day the site gets a little better and we get a little braver.  Today was a banner day in that we got outside twice and were able to walk a total of almost 5 blocks!  Pizza for lunch is a good motivator, apparently.

Tomorrow we have a trip to Walmart planned--we need a few supplies, perhaps a couple new DVDs from the sale bin (in Spanish, of course!) and a few tee-shirts, as I hadn't taken into account the fact that we wouldn't be able to get her into any of her long-sleeved ones because of the splint.  We are currently using tee-shirts and a modified sweatshirt on top (with the left sleeve opened up to above the elbow and a snap added to make it look a bit less like a pirate's costume!).  Between that and (hopefully) getting to midday Mass, tomorrow will be our most active day yet.

We're both so grateful for her continued improvement and for all the prayers going up on her behalf.    

No comments:

Post a Comment